Monday, August 5, 2013

Quilts of the MidWest: Missouri

Hello my loves! I have returned! After a week among the trees and waters of the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri the husband and I are home safe and sound in one piece. It has been quite the adventures and I have a feeling that I will be breaking up the trip into a series of posts instead of trying to do an image and info dump in one post.

Today's post will focus on the most important aspect of traveling: seeing new and beautiful quilts!!! I was actually shocked how many quilts crossed my path while staying in my husbands grandparents lake house. It was like they kept coming out of the woodwork sending me running for my camera to document the beauty of these beautiful and mostly hand quilted (!) quilts providing warmth to the rainy Missouri days (and there were many!).

The first quilt we ran into hid beneath the covers of the bed the husband and I were borrowing for the trip. In the bedroom of his grandparents close friends who generously lent us the use of their lake house, I shrieked with joy when I pulled back the covers to these adorable applique kitties and about gave my husband a heart attack. But, come on! Applique kitties! It was like this quilt was meant for me or something! It was pretty obvious this quilt was machine quilted but I coveted the hand embroidery around each kitty cat.

The next room over I stumbled across this amazing hexy quilt. I loved the color choices and the playful patterns

This postage stamp quilt was found in a closet while searching for towels. Let's face it though, it is much too pretty for a closet. 


As we were driving from the airport towards the lake house and I watched the shops, trees, and white lines out the window and I noticed a sign reading Love To Sew. I logged its position in my head in case I ever got the chance to explore the town on my own. That time came when the husband and I decided to while away an afternoon shopping and I forced my husband to pull over into the parking lot. Because, if you can't hit every quilt shop in the world you aren't trying hard enough!

The shop was adorable from the get go and I could tell the lovely woman at the counter was surprised to see young people enter through the door as it was pretty clear straight away that at the Lake of the Ozarks people our age were more interested in boating and beers than piecing and quilting. The shop only sold Janome machines like the MC 9900 in the picture below which was thrilling to me as I have been seriously considering a Janome but had yet to see one up close and personal and boy howdy get I get up close. However, my husband got more up close to the price tag! Yike! Now, it will be the uphill battle to convince him that this machine would be worth the price and make all my quilting dreams come true lol. Until then this ladies in the shop were kind enough to answer all our questions and allow us to check out the work all the customers had been doing on their Horizon's in the backroom. The shop offers free classes to all who buy machines in which to teach you how to use the bazillion features. That day they were working with the built in AcuFill quilting feature and boy was I green with envy.


The fabric selection in the shop was lovely, not the best selection for a modern quilter, but an absolute heyday for a traditional quilter. Their batik selection especially was mindblowing and I loved the mini quilts hung around the shop, I could have spent all day ogling!


Eventually though the husband managed to drag me out and on with our day. But I will tell you I will be saving every penny I find in hopes that someday in the not too future I will be splurging for a new machine. Until then my trusty Brother and I will continue happily quilting and I will continue to scream at my husband to stop the car every time I see the words sew and quilt- no matter how much we are enjoying our vacation!

For more pictures and information about Love to Sew Boutique please visit their website here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...